Monday, December 29, 2008

Don Kessinger


Don Kessinger was one of the first players I got for my Cubs project, which is appropriate because his was the first autograph I ever got as a kid. Well, technically I didn't get it, it was given to me.

Back in my Park Forest days a neighbor of ours attended a Rotary luncheon where Kessinger was speaking. The guy knew I was a fan and had the forethought to ask Kessinger to sign the program from that days events. I still remember him stopping by the house and handing my Mom the folded paper with "To Mark, Best Wishes Don Kessinger" scribbled on it. My mother promptly had the thing laminated, cursing any value but preserving it for my future. I still have that sheet. Thanks Mom.

Many years later I tracked Kessinger down in 1986 at a tiny card show in Charlotte, North Carolina where I was living. I remember he was sitting at a long table looking rather lonely. It wasn't much of a card show and I guess old Cubs didn't warrant a lot of excitement in a town still buzzing with excitement over their very own NBA franchise.

The lack of a line allowed me a brief moment to speak with Kessinger. He told me how he was coaching college baseball down in Mississippi or some other state like that. As I said, we didn't speak for long. I got the sense he really didn't want to be there.

Nevertheless, I finally got my chance to get Kessinger's autograph in person. It's always neat to actually get an autograph in person, but truth be told. I think the scribbled signature on a forty year old Rotary luncheon program will always be my favorite Kessinger sig.

No comments: